Friday, March 29, 2013

Media in a Prosocial Alternate Reality

I just discovered a fascinating site called Thumbs and Ammo. Their motto is "Real tough guys don't need guns; they just need a positive, can-do attitude." What they do is take popular media images from action movies and photoshop out the guns. In their place...well, I'll let you see for yourself.

 





 For some movies, the titles had to change to reflect their new, prosocial message, so the movie Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot! (yeah, I've never heard of it, either) becomes Stop! Or My Mom Will Be Encouraging! From the Judge Dredd catchphrase "In the future...one man is judge, jury, and executioner," 'executioner' becomes 'positive reinforcer.'

What do you think? How does this change our perspective on our favorite action heroes? I think they still look pretty awesome like this...but then some plot lines would need to change, and things could get complicated. It would definitely put an interesting twist on things, and could be an interesting experiment to try with one movie or episode, cutting out the weapons and replacing them with a thumbs up. I would approve of such an endeavor, and it looks like Rick Grimes would, too.
 

1 comment:

  1. Maybe this wasn't the intended reaction, but this got me laughing so hard. I love it, though. I think it's a great way to redirect people's viewpoints of what's "cool."

    ReplyDelete