Saturday, March 2, 2013

Background

In class the other day a study was mentioned where it was found that people who studied while listening to sound of any kind (music, traffic sounds, anything) did better when tested on the material. I know there are a lot of people who need silence to study, but I've found that for me music really helps me to concentrate. Of course, that doesn't apply if I'm just watching music videos on YouTube, because then there's no studying happening, but just putting on a playlist and getting to work does help. Sometimes I think it's because that part of my brain that wants to distract me and get me to check Facebook is already occupied listening to the music, or maybe it is that it helps my brain work better. There's always the possibility it's both. What about for all of you? Do you need silence to study, or do you prefer having music or some form of background noise?

1 comment:

  1. I almost constantly have Pandora on in my office. I'm obviously not stuyding, but I even have it on when I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete