Saturday, March 9, 2013

Re-Releases

So I love that every time we figure out a new trick in movie-making we have to do a complete over-haul of our movie collections. "That's a nice wall of VHS' you have there, but there's this new thing called the DVD and we're gonna need you to switch over." Then, of course, we had to upgrade to Blu-ray, and while we're at it let's just get digital copies as well.

It's not just the hardware that's changing, either. How many different versions of the same movie are offered? Extended editions, director's cuts, limited/collector's/Diamond-whatever editions, etc. The new big thing, and the one that sparked the thought for this post, is re-releasing every movie that ever existed, one by one, in 3D.

I'm in the theaters today, and amid the trailers of new movies coming out is one for Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park...coming up on its 20th anniversary here, but hitting theaters again because it's in 3D. Now, I've nothing wrong with Jurassic Park; I love it and it'll be cool to see in 3D, but you can forget it if you think I'm buying another version of it.

With current trends and the expense of recreating entire movie libraries every so many years, I think I'll just wait for complete cinematic immersion in virtual reality theaters. Yeah, I think I'll hold out for that. Until then, I'm just buying one copy of each movie, thank you very much.

1 comment:

  1. haha. I completely agree with you! I don't really want to pay to watch a movie I already own and can watch for free. I mean the 3-D could be cool but I usually am disappointed with 3-D. I'll have to try that virtual reality!!
    But next thing you know all the movies are gonna be on flash drives or the equivalent.

    ReplyDelete