Friday, April 5, 2013

Rowling


Here's a letter I just wrote to J. K. Rowling, letting her know that the collective we I identify myself with in the Harry Potter generation wants more Harry and less Barry. Having written opposite poles with Harry Potter on one side and Casual Vacancy on the other, I wanted to cast my vote with Harry for her future works.


Dear Mrs. Rowling,

I am a proud member of the Harry Potter generation. I read the books, I watch the movies, I philosophize over their content and meaning, I buy the merchandise, and I've visited the theme park. I believed in Harry Potter, and I believed in J. K. Rowling.

So, when I learned that a new J. K. Rowling book was coming out, I already had my plans booked. Obviously, I was going to be the first one in line to get that book, whatever it was. After seven books, it was obvious what to expect. No, not necessarily wizards and magic, but top-of-the-line, inspiring storytelling.

Months later, my wish came true, and I stood at the front of the line. Okay, well, I was the line, but there I was, way more awake than any of the store associates at the counter. They had to ring up my copy of The Casual Vacancy a couple of times because we hadn't actually hit the release time yet, but then I was happily on my way. Apologizing to my homework, I knew the book would be done before the end of the day, If I had anything to do with it.

The first lesson we learned is that muggles are pitiful. Barry gets one head-splitting headache, gives up, and dies. How embarrassing. Harry's head split open every other chapter and you didn't see him putting up such a big fuss.

Unfortunately, that's the only lesson we learn. We learn that while stories about wizards are full of courage, daring, moral strength, sacrifice, friendship, and love, stories about muggles are filled with vulgarity, immorality, and abuse. Indeed, I was done with the book before the end of the day, but not because I had finished reading it.

Surely, I thought, there are two J. K. Rowling's. There is no way such opposite works could be penned by the same hand. On one side, one of the greatest masterpieces to grace a bookshelf in our age, and on the other a handful of pages containing such trash as I would never touch, much less willingly invite into my library. Not even the name 'Rowling' could get me to read more profanity, sex, and disrespect for all Harry taught us to live by. I sadly made my way to the store and returned what I had expected to be the book of the year.

I thought I believed in Harry Potter and J. K. Rowling. The Casual Vacancy corrected me. I still believe in Harry Potter; that has not changed. It's just that I must now consider it distinct and separate from the author's name on the cover.

I would very much like to believe in J. K. Rowling again. If that means waiting for more "children's books," so be it. We have read quality, legendary literature from you before; we know it is possible. We are the Harry Potter generation, and we expect Harry Potter values. If you abandon them, we will not follow. If you  have more stories worth telling, we ask to hear them and will accept and love them. If you only have more Casual Vacancy in you, we will be grateful for what we have received in Harry Potter but mourn that it was the end of Rowling.

Hoping for the best,
Joseph Simonson

1 comment:

  1. I love that you wrote to JK Rowling!! I really hope she does backstories!!! Finding out more about James and Lily would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete