Saturday, February 23, 2013

Video Games

I never had a lot of video games growing up. Everyone else got the newest games and systems as they came out, and we...didn't. I never found cause to complain about it; it just wasn't a big part of life. We had other things to do, and didn't think much of the lack of video games in our home.

Eventually, my parents bought a Nintendo 64, and that, together with some computer games, was our full measure of games. They were enough for us, and we played through them all happily. We never spent too much time on them, I don't think, though I don't remember if that was due to personal choice or parental management.

What I do remember is the time I developed my current view of video games. I'd found a new game and I was working hard on building up my avatar and crushing my opponents when, after a few hours' work, I died and had to start over from scratch.

I suddenly realized how much time I'd spent on something that had paid no dividends...if I started playing again, five hours down the road I could be eliminated and put right back to where I was now, and that would be my day gone. That's when I decided to put the controls down and find something else to do, and it's been that way ever since. Are video games fun, challenging, and entertaining? Of course they are! Some of them are very tempting, but for me, personally, I'd rather find my entertainment elsewhere. No offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment