Friday, January 25, 2013

(Non)sense Media

All media is not created equal. We talked in class today about the differences between educational media and violent/nonsense media, and believe me, the principle extends past preschool cartoons. For example, some movies make you think...others have lots of explosions. There are movies with both, but for now let's examine the extremes.

There are lots of good, philosophical movies that inspire you...maybe make you want to change the world or your life. They're usually quieter movies, more focused on dialogue and character development. They have a lesson to teach, about how the world should be, what our potential is, or how we need to change.

On the other hand, we see other movies with no lesson at all. These are the movies who set up a loose plot to justify all the explosions they plan on filming, and then get to work choreographing fight scenes with the stunt doubles. Your awe with this movie is based on the special effects used, and in how awesome the protagonist is as they obliterate an entire army of trained soldiers against all odds.

Now, there's nothing wrong with either kind of movie. Some nights you're in the mood for a mind-blowing intellectual/psychological thriller, and others you just want car chases and insane stunts. I love movies that are actually taking your mind somewhere, but other times I'm just so tired and done with thinking that I have to pop in a movie that doesn't require my brain activity. I can just sit there and be entertained, no thinking required.

Both movies are okay, and I think the only problem is when you stick strictly to no-brain-activity movies all the time. On top of being entertained, we do need to be engaging in media with a purpose. I can look at funny pictures all night long and come away the same person I was before, or I can read a good book (right now that would be Les Mis) and come away with new thoughts, ideas, and understanding about...whatever the author is covering (Les Mis: society, cruelty, revolution, religion, mercy, morality, justice, etc.). The media can help us to relax, and it can help us to grow. Both of these are justifiable motives, when used properly.

1 comment:

  1. Really great, well-thought out post here! I totally agree with you! Though sometimes I want what I call "brain candy", most times I want to walk about from media changed for the better somehow. Media that makes you really think about something are the best kind.

    ReplyDelete